Re: [LUG] Issue with newish Samsung laptops and Ubuntu

On 31/01/13 19:35, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Not sure if anyone has seen this on The Register:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/31/ubuntu_uefi_bricking_samsung_laptops/
>

> Looks like there is an issue with Ubuntu on some new Samsung laptops
> which have UEFI.  My work laptop is a Samsung, although I'm using Mint
> 13 on it (not sure if Mint 14 is affected or not).  So if you have a
> new Samsung laptop and you want to bung Ubuntu on it, or maybe other
> newish distros too then it could be worth bearing in mind just in case.
>
> Rob

To be fair, the blame here lies entirely with Samsung, not Ubuntu. It
should be impossible with any sanely programmed UEFI implementation to
*literally* brick a machine, in the proper sense (i.e., physically
written off, not possible to firmware re-flash, must go back to factory
for repairs).

In case anyone is wondering, this doesn't have anything to do with the
infamous Microsoft-mandated secure boot UEFI stuff. It's just Samsung
engineers being incompetent.

Regards