Re: [LUG] collaboration tools

On 16/01/13 23:36, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 16/01/13 01:02, Kai Hendry wrote:
>> On 3 January 2013 17:58, paul sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On the http://www.dcglug.org.uk/irc I have links to a few collaboration
>>> text editors (don't know what ever technical term there is for these)
>> Why put it on the /irc page?
> Good question...
>
>>> Does anyone know of similar tools that offer things like spredsheet, and
>>> other functionality,,  drawing, diagramming etc,
>> Be good of you to promote open mergable formats like CSV & GNUplot
>> which I've been messing around lately with
>> https://github.com/kaihendry/laptemp
> Yes, there are loads of tools that try and do the "two author" type
> thing, but it I've rarely seen people trying to use them in anger. Tools
> that merge, or tools that simply hand over control (or control can be
> taken) can achieve the same thing with less discussion between
> collaborators, which ultimately is what limits scalability in parallel
> processing.

There are quite a few tools in with the education packages on ubuntu so
I am assumung they are in the Debian repositories too.

Perhaps we need a page that has an article that explains the pros / cons
of all this collaboration stuff,  one advantage with these basic editors
could be helping with website editing in html,  someone with more
expertise can help find and debug the code with the other person there.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding chidlren, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.