Re: [LUG] Linux tape drive

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Edwin Rhodes wrote:

Hi I am looking for a Linux boot disk that will enable me to format tapes on a scsi
drive
Any ideas?

Tapes don't need to be formatted. You just use them. You need a kernel with the 'st' (scsi tape) drivers installed, along with the right hardware (scsi card, cabling, etc.)

then you simple copy data to them - e.g. tar (tape archive)

  tar cf /dev/st0 /directory-to-backup

the easy way to think of a tape is to think of it as one big file, however you can have multiple files on a tape, but I don't recommend it.

Also make sure your distro has the 'mt' command - that's the genric mag tape handling command, however about the only commands you want are retension (winds a tape from end to end) and rewoffl - rewind and offline (ie. eject) a tape.

e.g.

  mt -f /dev/st0 rewoffl

Tapes are normally rewound when you close the device, but the non-rewinding device often has a 'n' appended to it - e.g. /dev/st0n

(or is it /dev/nst0)

you'll need to check. However you only need the non-rewinding device when writing multiple files to the same tape. PITA that is, so use something like tar, cpio or dump.

Gordon