Re: [LUG] Operating Systems We Have Known And Loved (And Hated)

On 05/01/13 05:31, bad apple wrote:
So here is a purely personal thing: I really, really *really* love
operating systems. I'd say it's what makes me tick, to be honest. This
is why I'm a sysadmin, and not a developer, like a lot of my friends.
Languages will come and go, but the hardware - it lives forever.

I know by definition this is a LUG - so I guess we all use Linux. But
what other systems have you known/loved/hated or been forced to use at
gun point? Which ones did you like, even as you wished horrible death on
their creators?

Not being that old (well 34) I haven't had experience with anything as old as a PDP, but I do have some fond memories of different operating systems as I played around with computers when I was older.

I'd say I have a soft spot for OS/2, I remember getting a trial version on a PC magazine years ago, I think it was when OS/2 Warp 3.0 came out. I never did get it working, my Dad's PC at the time was slightly under spec. I did also try an earlier version of OS/2 which I picked up at an amateur radio fair in Brixham, I think it must have been OS/2 1.2 or something like that. Didn't stick with it for long though.

I did get a little excited in 2000 when I was able to have a play with an SGI Indy, having seen the SGI machines in Jurassic Park it was kinda a bit exciting.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more operating systems that I've played with though.

Rob