Re: [LUG] temperature sensors for Raspberry Pi brewery controller

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012, tom wrote:

Currently it looks the cheapest option to buy 3 kitchen 0.1c accurate LED thermometers (for the price of 1 thermocouple resistor WTF!) and modify them.

Do you really believe they're that accurate?

I can connect an analogue LM35 sensor up to an Arduino - this has a 0-100C range over 0-5V and then I can get: 100 / 1024 = 0.098C resolution.

Does this mean it's really that accurate? No way. But I can display those numbers and it looks "good". Same as the kitchen ones are doing. It looks good, but it's no-where near accurate.

I will get one and see if whats in there - a pic and a small cct board I guess - if I can get the pic out without damaging it I can dump the code and see how it works and may be able to extract the temperature info one way or another. Calibration is a strange one - what does one calibrate against freezing and boiling are rarely where you think they should be!

Standard temperature and pressure... Good job finding that economically...

Gordon