Re: [LUG] OSS

> Have you looked at the input connectors in alsa mixer?

Not yet. This morning alsa is not there and lsmod | grep snd returns nothing.
So I have to go through the installation all over again? Er ... every day?
(more below)

> have you the alsamixer-gui?
> and have you got plulse audio?

whereis says I have both these. I understand pulseaudio does some
clever things I don't need but there is a --kill option.

> also are you KDE or Gnome?

Er ... gnome. I always used KDF4 and liked it but with squeeze it was just
too difficult to get going and gnome is quite adequate for what I do.

> Also have a look at www.debian-multimedia.org, vlc and mplayer
> wmv files are windows and the codecs to play them are restricted

They are windows but the movie player in gnome will play them -- I have
checked with my wife's PC which also runs gnome. I also have vlc.

-------------------------------------
(later)
I restored snd_cmipci (which the ALSA soundcard matrix calls
snd-cmipci) and now aplay works again.
No sound in movie player or vlc.  Is pulseaudio the problem perhaps?
I tried pulseaudio --kill and the reply is
'E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon: No such process'
so maybe it is not running. 'pulseaudio --check' doesn't say anything.

But wait; I can run alsamixer (and alsamixergui) as root but if I try
as user I get 'cannot open mixer: No such file or directory'. What file
is it on about?

Tony