Re: [LUG] Sad encounter

On 25/09/12 17:57, Rob Beard wrote:

> Yep, seems to be the experience I've had.  I used to work at a
> scientific research institute years back (going back 10 years since I
> left) and when I started they had a mix of SUN Ultrasparc, SGI Indy
> (which I got a little excited about :-D), DEC Alpha, Windows and Mac.
> When I was leaving they'd pretty much standardised on Windows XP
> desktops some dual booting with RedHat Linux and Macs running a
> combination of OS 9 and OS X :-)

I've spent a lot of time in academia as well, mostly medical research,
and when I started there was a crazy mix of proprietary hard/soft ware
for me to BOFH on: we had a Sun Fire 25k, a VMS cluster (Vax first, then
Alpha), lots of Sun and SGI workstations, 2 AS400s running OS400 (later
System I). Also in the mix were a ClearPath mainframe, a monster system
Z predecessor (they even let me IPL it once under the watchful eye of a
very stern IBM consultant), a lab full of Macs and some HP C3000
visualisation stations on HP-UX. And RS6000s with AIX. Funnily enough a
fair representation of these cool old systems are now gathering dust in
my garage.

Now everything is windows, including the servers, although the
consultants invariably do the BYOD thing with their own MacBooks.

Being a sysadmin used to be so much more fun!

Cheers