Re: [LUG] Sad encounter

On 24/09/12 19:52, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 24/09/12 16:39, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> Yesterday we went to RHS Rosemoor near Torrington for the Food Fair.
>> Afterwards we were in the shop and I was looking at a photo book. An
>> elderly man near me commented on being interested in computers himself
>> and that he used Photo Shop to work on his photos.
>>

> Ahh so not an easy Linux convert then unless he's running an old
> version of Photoshop.
>
>> So of course I told him that I did not use Windows but a free OS called
>> Linux. He had never heard of it. When I explained a little he seemed
>> rather bemused. He was convinced that if you wanted to use a computer
>> you *had* to use Windows and that nothing else worked! (I wonder where
>> he got that idea.)
>>

> That's a sad fact as you seem to have pointed out :-)
>
>> So I explained a bit more and he said 'but you can't use the internet of
>> course or send emails'. More explanations. Eventually he went on his way
>> looking very surprised.
>>

> So he'd been given miss-information then :-D
>
>> This encounter brought home to me just how far we are still from getting
>> people to understand that there is a choice out there. There is still a
>> long way to go to get that message out there.
>>

> I have a positive story.  A couple of years ago I tried to get a
> friend to use Ubuntu on his desktop dual booting with Vista.  He was
> one of those "I don't like change" types and wanted to stick with
> Vista.  He ended up buying a laptop and leaving the desktop with his
> parents when he moved out (about 2 years ago now I think).
>
> Anyway, I had a message from his brother the other day asking me how
> to get an Epson printer working on Ubuntu.  It turns out they're now
> running Ubuntu on their PC, I didn't have any involvement on the
> install so I can only assume another friend or family member suggested
> it to them. :-)
>
> Recently I've managed to convert my brother-in-law onto Linux Mint as
> his laptop (running Vista) caught a virus.  As far as I know he's
> happy with Mint as it does what he wants (mainly Internet and Facebook
> games).  I'm going to be showing Mint to my sister-in-law tomorrow too
> as she too has a laptop which is running like a dog.  I figured leave
> her with a USB stick or DVD with it on so she can have a play and see
> how much better it is than Windows :-)
>
> Hopefully with the launch of the Raspberry Pi it's going to get more
> people interested in Linux.  I've seen so many comments and heard so
> many stories of people picking up Raspberry Pi's and to learn Perl and
> Linux, despite being able to do that on a standard PC, so maybe those
> people playing with a Pi will maybe look at Linux on a desktop or
> laptop PC too (maybe someone should release a version of Debian
> renamed to Raspbian for x86 :-D).
>
> Rob
>
> Rob

Sounds good,  hopefully more people locally (torbay and area) will end
up with raspberry Pis and maybe even increase attendance at lug meets,

I gave 3 flyers out sunday and at least one of the children Igave them
to,  seemed interested in getting one.   So i printed a few more off
today and will give to our under 12's Tuesday.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org