Re: [LUG] DNS/proxy filtering for schools/libraries

On 17/09/12 12:08, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 17 September 2012 12:02, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> DansGuardian -- should be in repo. Integrates with squid.
>
> Ok, I guess I could run DansGuardian on one of my servers
> http://webconverger.org/servers/ and get a business subscription to
> http://urlblacklist.com/?sec=subscribe

Squidguard has some free lists maintained for compliance of some school
or other.

http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/

> Still CIPA compliance looks like something I can't generally offer out
> the box. Nightmare.

What they are telling you is it is not something anyone can offer in a
box. The school or district has to comply, all the box needs to be able
to do is implement the policy the school or district has - a squid
filter would be fine for this purpose.

It is a classic procedural check. The school must have Internet
filtering, they must be able to fix mistakes in that filtering, beyond
that the legislation is both meaningless and pointless but "think of the
children".