Re: [LUG] Samba - not the dance

On 16/09/12 21:46, Steven Côté wrote:
>     As I said we have a desktop and two laptops here all using the same
>     router. The desktop is linked via cable and the laptops use wifi. It
>     just seems strange to me that there is no simple way for me on the
>     desktop for example to be able to view files on one of the other
>     machines. Oh well, perhaps teamviewer is the way to go??
>

> Sounds to me that if you're just looking for a way to have adhoc file
> transfers, then ssh is your friend. If you're running sshd, then you can
> use either gftp or even Nautilus' "Connect To Server" to connect to
> other peoples computers and get at their files. Or do you want your
> users to have a directory nominated as "shared" that are available on
> the local network?

Not so much file transfer as file view. Example, I take photos of my
daughter's horse and place them on a folder on my desktop. Rather than
come into my study, sit at my computer and look at the photos I thought
it should be easy for her to view the relevant folder on her laptop and
look at the photos that way. Perhaps also transfer one or two of the
photos to her laptop. But it all seems very complicated to set up.

When we were talking about Samba at the recent meeting the above
scenario is what came to mind. Oh well, I should have realised.

Neil