Re: [LUG] Samba - not the dance

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 08:42:00AM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> We had a good meeting yesterday in the White Hart at Holsworthy. One
> subject that came up was Samba file sharing. I had heard of it but I had
> completely dismissed it as of no interest due to my misunderstanding of
> what it was all about.
>
> At home I have a desktop computer and wife and daughter each have their
> own laptops. These are all set up with Linux. I can see that file
> sharing could be useful at times. So back home I started researching. I
> have installed samba on my desktop so now I need to start finding out
> about it all.
>
> So on to Google to see what I could find. I have discovered quite a lot
> but there is one problem area. All the tutorials assume that you want to
> link a Linux computer with one running Windows, or vice versa. In fact
> some of them clearly stated that the tutorial was all about linking
> Linux to Windows and that the case of Linux to Linux was not covered as
> it was 'different' and needed a separate tutorial.
>
> So, if anyone can point me towards any tutorials or help files which
> specifically cover Linux to Linux file sharing using Samba I will be
> very grateful. And yes I do have friends who use Windows but I have
> neither the need nor the wish to share files with them.

Linux to Linux file sharing does not need samba. SSH works very well

PS I have the opposite problem, in setting up my new laptop I now cannot
access my work (windows) server. AGGGHHHHH. Why cant they have their data
on a linux server

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately