Re: [LUG] Dual Boot Windows 7

On 11/09/12 18:40, Cramptons wrote:
> Hope this catches you in time.
> Windows 7 update can screw up a dual boot machine.  Suggest you make
> sure you update Windows first and then switch update off.  Should Ms
> update work in the future you can always switch it back  on again.
> John.

With all due respect, you're doing it wrong.

As much as I dislike windows, I have *never* seen windows/microsoft
update trash a dual boot setup and I used to administer 4,000 hospital
workstations that were windows boxes during the day and rebooted into a
distributed openmpi cluster during the night for processing the lab guys
gene sequencing data. The windows side of things sometimes blew up even
on an internal WSUS setup - with full patch and regression testing for
our corporate images - but they never once wrecked the linux partitions
or touched the grub boot loader. As I said, you should use dd to backup
the MBR anyway, which protects you from the obvious point of failure.

Additionally, I suggest you never, ever run an unpatched windows box:
completely turning off windows update is a remarkably stupid thing to do
(selectively managing windows update yourself is another matter entirely
and recommended). Actually, forget "suggest": the internet at large
*demands* you never run an unpatched windows machine because it will be
compromised and then we'll all have to put up with your spam-spewing
zombied mail relay/DDOS bot.

No offence Cramptons, but that is the worst advice I've seen for a long
time. Apologies if I've come across harshly but I have to deal with the
consequences of unpatched windows boxes all day, every day and I'm not
keen to see more added to the millions already out there.

Regards