Re: [LUG] The disc drive for / is not ready yet or not present

On 02/09/12 20:53, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> Thanks, all for the suggestions. It seems that things were in such a
> state, that everything I tried gave errors. I ended up re-installing
> Kubuntu.
>
> Martijn.

For future reference, you fix these issues by netbooting an appropriate
installer image (or you can boot via USB or DVD of course, but
netbooting is easier and more efficient) and breaking into a root shell.

Issue bind mount instructions for the special filesystems, mount your
old root and then chroot into the damaged system (there are tutorials
all over the net for this, such as
http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2010/06/02/how-to-chroot-to-ubuntu-using-live-cd-to-fix-grub-rescue-prompt/).
Now you have full access to your old system but from a basis of a
current, fresh installer environment so you will have working
networking, etc.

Then you can fix any damage - for interrupted upgrades, on Debian-based
systems, the laundry list of apt/dpkg commands Tom posted is pretty much
everything you'll need. Once you've finished, unmount, exit your shells
and reboot into your repaired system. This method can be used for any
linux system, not just ubuntu, although minor details will change
between distributions.

Regards