Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi's and heatsinks

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012, Rob Beard wrote:

On 20/07/12 07:51, Gordon Henderson wrote:
If you are going to put fans, etc. in it then this is a start:

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/gertfan.jpg

Gordon

That is brilliant!

I was wondering if it was possible to interface some of the Lego motors and stuff to the Pi. I vaguely remember having some of the very basic (Technics I think) Lego kits with motors when I was a kid and I think it would be a great way of getting my eldest interested (she loves Lego).

You only have one PWM output, so only one motor can be speed controlled (without using any other controllers).

The Gertboard has 7 open collector outputs, so can drive 7 motors with a separate voltage - e.g. 9v. I was using a 9V adapter to power the Lego motor for that fan.

The biggest issue is driving them - you need some sort of buffer - e.g. the Gertboard to interface between the Pi and the motors, but it's not hard to build something yourself if you need to - but there are plenty of breaktout boards online at various places.

Gordon