Re: [LUG] Thoroughly disheartening evening - acx111, Adobe Flash, Google......

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, Simon Waters wrote:

Tried to install Adobe Flash, but Iceweasel falls over "Illegal
Instruction". Opinion in the net seems to think this is running it on a
Sempron 2300+ CPU, as it uses SSE2 instructions. I didn't hang around to
check.

That Surprises me... I thought the AMD differences had been ironed out some time ago... Inbetween desktsops recently, I resorted to an older AMD Semperon 1800+ CPU and other than it being a bit clunky, didn't notice things like flash crashing... It all seemed OK to me..

Sure it couldn't have been didgy RAM, or something like CPU overheating (dodgy heatsink) sort of thing?

(But I suspect if it crashed at exactly the same place every time, in a VM environment it might rule out a memory issue)

Gordon