Re: [LUG] Is this good?

On 13/06/12 19:52, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> It's easy to get 100% uptime though - doesn't mean the server can
> actually do anything!

For some definition of uptime, I think the IPPatrol figure given if the
availability of their network, not a specific website on that network,
the details aren't clear, but it is noted elsewhere that they use
melbourne.co.uk as their provider.

Websites are inherently more complex than networks, since it is harder
to build in redundancy, since most people design with a single reliable
storage medium backing their web site (or at least a network design
which mimics having a single storage medium - note: not everyone designs
that way, especially these days).

> Still, on the surface it looks tempting...

The reviews I found were quite good.

One (otherwise positive review) noted aggressive IO rate limiting,
presumably to stop any one host hogging IO. I would assume similar
restrictions will apply to CPU.

So I suspect if you just want some space to try stuff, it is worth a
punt. If you want to engineer to survive the slashdot effect, or to do
performance computing, look elsewhere or pay more.

But yes at that price just try it for a month, and see how it works out.