Re: [LUG] My letter to my MP / ISP ban to The Pirate Bay

On 05/05/12 20:04, Mark Evans wrote:
> On 05/05/12 14:34, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 May 2012 13:51:26 +0100 Mark Evans
> > <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello Mark,
>
> >> Even if you were to stick with just "porn" can you actually have
> >> an objective definition.
>
> > Indeed:
>
> > Penistone was thinking of changing its name to Pennistone to avoid
> > problems with censorship, allegedly.
>
> This is actually known as "Scunthorpe problem".
>

> > My wife's employer had a system in place whereby any profanity was
> > blocked. What's wrong with that? She works in the legal
> > profession, and if a witness said "~&*@!", that's what had to be
> > written.
>
> IIRC there was a lawyer with the surname "Babcock" who was barred from
> signing up to some automated service. But was allowed to use the name
> "Babpenis"!

> > Finally, there's the architects' firm that couldn't send out
> > emails with the word erection in it.
>
> I'm sure there was a website of "Smut where only a computer would
> look" or some such. A sultable alternative would be "How to fail
> Natural Language Processing/Understanding". Arguably even worst than
> machine translation systems which come up with the likes of "The vodka
> is good, but the meat is rotten." or machinary operated by "wet sheep".
>
> There being very few words used in porn which do not have completly
> unrelated meanings. Not just words there are even whole sentences
> which without context you cannot tell if the subject is cooking
> poultry or sexual massage.

I suppose the word Naked springs to mind in terms of safety,  such as Do
not use naked flames near
flammable liquids,   if that was blocked it would be interesting from a
safety point of view

> On the other hand you've had TV programmes containing profanity
> brodcast in children's slots because the words in question wern't
> offensive in the USA, Australia, etc.

Good examples there Mark,  Within this debate no one has actually
mentioned this sort of thing,  may be worth writing to the local MP
about it,  as I am sure
that while these blocks are well intentioned,  there is going to be pit
falls.

On the subject of internet filtering i wonder if the sites for the sex
pistols or bare naked ladies will be blocked by this new filtering opt
in,  hmm to view the websites for these groups I need to opt in to view
porn.  or will there be a way to un filter these sites.

Of course if these sites do get blocked and this implies the groups web
sites are porn related that could set up a interesting legal battle for
slander and or libel.

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net