[LUG] Computing At School Regional Hubs

Hi folks,

I was reading an article on The Register earlier about programming (it's kind of an article about Rory Cellan-Jones doing a 1 day HTML course) and there was a mention of the Computing at School working group.

Now from what I understand the group aims to promote teaching computing (rather than the glorified CLAIT and ECDL they have at the moment) in schools. If I understand correctly the group has members from education and business including members of the British Computing Society.

They have regional hubs which is aimed at ICT and Computing teachers and those interested in encouraging more computing in schools at Primary and Secondary level. Looking at the web site it seems that the hubs are county wide (there is mention of one for Oxfordshire and one for Kent).

I didn't see anything for Devon or Cornwall and I thought maybe it might be something that as a LUG, or even just some of us from the LUG who are interested could look at getting involved with and maybe look into setting up a Devon & Cornwall hub?

I thought I'd mention it anyway especially since there are a couple of folks on the LUG who are involved with education anyway (Mark, Grant, erm... sorry can't remember the names of the other folks, it slips my mind). Anyway, I'm sure there are a couple of us who aren't involved with education but would still be interested especially if we have kids around school ages (my daughters for instance are in both Primary and Secondary schools and I cringe when they tell me some of the things that they do in ICT lessons).

So, just thought I'd mention it and see what interest there is?

Rob

P.S. Apologies if this has come through twice, I sent it originally but had mis-configured Thunderbird so it was not adding my e-mail address correctly :-s