Re: [LUG] Routers and Modems

On 14/04/12 15:54, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 14 April 2012 15:46, Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> Anyway, does this mean that I need both a modem and a router? And
>>> if so, when I am looking for a new router must I make sure it includes a
>>> modem? Up till now I had always assumed that it would.
>>
>> It'd be hard to find a router that does not include a modem but yes,
>> they do exist and yes, you will need both so yes, it is best to make
>> sure the router does include a modem.
>
> We have one that does not include a modem but that is because its
> designed to plug in to two ADSL connections at once and so you need to
> add on two modems to it. So you can have automatic fall over or load
> balancing.
>
> Most standard off the shelf consumer ones have the modem portion built
> in. The ones like i have tend to be more expensive and less common
> anyway.
>
> Robin

Thanks to all for your help. Now I must continue my search for a router
which my Xperia phone likes. My phone does not like my current Netgear
router and goes through a connect/disconnect cycle. I have tested the
phone elsewhere and it is fine. Apparently this is a known problem which
I did not find out until too late. (It will connect for about an hour if
I reset the router and then it fails again.)

I was thinking of ugrading anyway, my router does not have 802.11N and
first came out over 10 years ago. So while I am at it I must make sure
that the Xperia phone is happy with it.

More research, sigh

Neil