Re: [LUG] Saturday meet : dual boot flash disk

On 06/02/12 09:45, Philip Hudson wrote:
Probably won't be there, so: multisystem ftw

On 5 Feb 2012 20:02, "paul sutton" <zleap@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:zleap@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi

    As I am coming to the meet on saturday I would like to create a dual
    boot memory stick,  I have a 2gb one here that I use for to store the
    latest ubuntu so I can install on devices like my netbook and main
    computer as neither have optical drives.

    I am going to upgrade my netbook to ubuntu 11.10 this week,  but would
    like to figure out how to set up the memory stick so it can hold 2
    distros,  and when booted give a choice of which to boot in to.

    So I can stick an iso of say 11.10 and an iso of debian business card on
    to the hdd then from that, on the 2gb memory stick create a dual boot
    install system,   I am unsure how so perhaps can we have a go on
    saturday.  I can create a single distro boot disk no problem.

    Sure there are instructions somewhere, but this to me is what lug meets
    are partly for, social and hacking.

    thanks

    Paul

Multiboot usb (usually debian variants) works fine here but I never tried with a business card iso, It's only an installer, unlike an image that starts an actual "live system".

Getting the stick to boot at all is the awkward bit.

If your existing setup already has syslinux, you should be able to just copy in the files (vmlinuz, initrd.gz and the iso) and make a new entry in syslinux.cfg.

If there exists already another vmlinuz and initrd.gz, put one set in a directory and adjust syslinux.cfg to suit

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-flexible

David