Re: [LUG] Google+

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On Feb 6, 2012 10:19 AM, "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Philip Hudson wrote:

Invited someone yesterday & they're already on now. Invites on request,
off-list I guess.

Last time I looked, you didn't need an invite to get onto Google+

I closed my G+ and Facebook accounts a few months ago. Just on Twitter
now. (@drogon)

I'm a bit sad though, I still have my Facebook, Google+, Twitter,
Diaspora*, Identi.ca and LinkedIn accounts.

Actually, I still have LinkedIn. I just got fed-up with Facebooks continual privacy changes and everyones desire to keep your photos, etc. safe for you.

I'm also anoyed with twitter when it insists on shortening all URLs - to use their own service, so you create a short URL using your favourite service, enter it into twitter, it shortens it again using it's own.. Just so they can track all the URLs you click on....

The tracking, etc. is getting beyond a joke now. Just go to http://www.wired.com/ which I'm sure many of you do to read "Wired Magazine" and see that they have 9 trackers on their page. That's 9 additional sites your browser will (potentially) send data to, and execute a bit of javascript inside your browser. No-wonder you need a dual-core 3.5GHz CPU just to run a web browser these days )-:

Gordon