Re: [LUG] Computer on time

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:06:03 +0000
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

> Is there any good/bad or right/wrong way with this, or is it just up to
> the individual?

Ecologically, it makes sense to turn items off when you're not using
them, as long as the off time offsets the power up surge many items
suffer.  OTOH, things tend to fail at power on, rather than when always
powered up.  This applies far more to things that have high start up
stresses.  Light bulbs and fuses being the classic example of this.

It's up to you, really.

I know many people leave router/modems on because the on/off cycling can
be seen as line degradation and affect line speeds.  Where I am, it
makes little difference powering off overnight and turning it on in the
morning.  Uptime is generally greater than 18 hrs a day though.

--
 Regards  _
Well I don't want you to think I'm being obscene