Re: [LUG] If you want a Raspberry Pi...

On 17/01/12 15:50, Gordon Henderson wrote:

(and who doesn't!)

Well - if you want to be an early adopter...

You could register yourself on their website -
http://www.raspberrypi.com/ that may make it quicker to login & place
the order I guess...

And if you read their forums it appears that there are some other
site(s) trying to sell them too - I think I'd stick to the official site
for now..

So what else...

Power: It has 2 USB sockets and one is a micro USB for power only
apparently, so you'll need something that can supply power over micro
USB - e.g. a phone charger. They're suggesting one that can supply up to
700ma...

USB hub if you want to connect more than one USB device.

A USB keyboard (and mouse maybe)

The other thing is the output - HDMI or composite video. My TV will take
composite video, but not HDMI - My PC monitor will take DVI but not HDMI
but I understand there are HDMI to DVI converters available, so I'll
need one of those too...

An SD card with a suitable Linux on it. (Which I think they'll be
selling separately)

So get shopping :)

Gordon

Thanks for the info Gordon, I've pre-registered on the site. I've got to find a Micro USB charger now. Thinking about it, I do have an 'Apple' (probably a cheap knockoff) USB charger and a Micro USB cable which might do the job. I'm not sure if the DVI to HDMI converters which come with many graphics cards will work, saying that they're pretty cheap anyway.

Any news when they're going to be available or is it still in the next few weeks?

Rob