Re: [LUG] A slice of Pi gets closer...

On 16/01/12 13:02, tom wrote:
> On 16/01/12 12:17, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> do

>>> times
>>> engineers

>>> I find it quite amusing, all this talk of the Raspberry being too low
>>> powered to do anything serious on the desktop. You are kidding,
>>> right? Are
>>> websites, sans-Flash, really any bigger and requiring of more RAM or
>>> processing than only a few years ago?
>>
>> Yes. And it's not all flash either - javascript, web 2.0reah, html5
>> and all that...
>>
>> Read a report recently that suggests the average web page is
>> approaching 1MB of data transfered. here it is:
>>
>> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/110099-the-web-in-2011-html5-dominates-flash-trouble-for-data-capped-mobile-surfers
>>

>> or
>>
>> http://url.drogon.net/0p
>>
>> Not only that, but there's the proliferation of "tracker" type links
>> people are putting on a page...
>>
>> e.g. that page at extremetech.com has 16 trackers attached to it - so
>> that's 16 more requests (and little bits of javascript to download
>> and execute, exchanging cookies, etc.) your browser needs to make
>> just to complete the page rendering.
>>
>> Gordon
>>
> I just tried gnome3 on my new laptop - sluggish and irritating.
> Now run lxde - runs like a dream. Seems to do everything that I asked
> gnome3 to do only a lot lot faster.
> I have a 1500Mhz machine the kids are using - upgraded to Ubu11.04
> kids winged like crazy - put XFCE as the default desktop and they're
> happy as larry - and I can run Netbeans/Apache/MySQL and debug php
> pages on it comfortably.
> I think the RaspberryPi with LXDE or similar on it will put the fear
> of Stallman up a lot of people if we can get kids learning on it -
> thought the fact it will play HDMI video is a problem.
> Tom te tom te tom

Looking that the bbc article with the video i think it had lxde on the
screen, with fedora ARM.   there were issues running ubuntu on it due to
the ARM port,   however i see it this way, It gives Linux consumer
exposure,   we keep hearing this is the year of the Linux desktop,
perhaps it will be, but not in the way we expect.    What will be needed
is forward thinking people like us to show our support, those lug
members with kids,  if they get one and like it, they will show their
friends,  who will hopefully get one and show their friends,  and small
groups will form around this, which will grow in to larger groups, if
the experience on the PI is good, then perhaps they will look in to Linux.

There is a commercial game called Oil rush out,  with a Linux port,   so
things are moving, perhaps slowly but at least they are moving.   Lets
stay positive.  :)

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com