Re: [LUG] Unity

On Jan 6, 2012 10:22 AM, "Simon Waters" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/01/12 16:52, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> >
> > I've played with it. I wasn't entirely happy with it. I've played with
> > Gnome Shell too, and wasn't entirely happy with that.
>
> I'm curious what the issue with GNOME is. I have upgraded to Debian
> testing with GNOME3, and with tweak tools and putting the file manager
> in charge of the desktop (to get all those things I'd left on the
> desktop before visible), and lacking enough "omph" to render the fancy
> bits, it looks much like GNOME2 but with fewer admin tools (either
> Debian hasn't packaged them all or I haven't got the right meta-package,
> although I have enough to make it all bearable) on my box. Only
> difference is the tool bars are slightly tidier and harder to hide.
> Although I did note a few menus are white with white edges, but that may
> be my settings.
>
>  Simon

The problem is that I like the old desktop metaphor that Gnome2, KDE3 and 2, and others provided, and I like to be able to customise things the way I want. Gnome Shell on Testing seems to be customisable if you're prepared to wrote your own _javascript_ extensions, doesn't seem to want to let you add your own themes, and doesn't seem to respect older GTK2 applications using things like the notification panel. I like the notification panel. I like it to be visible all the time so I can check whether I have any new emails, tweets, RSS items, instant messages or whatever at a single glance... Gnome Shell seems to be of the opinion that it's a silly way to work and that I ought to have to physically move my cursor to the bottom right corner of the screen to find my notifications, and even then it doesn't seem to show all of them.

Also, if I want to move an application window to another workspace, I would previously have held ctrl, alt, shift and used the arrow keys to move it around. That does not appear to work anymore, instead I am being shoehorned into having to use the mouse and even then it's not clean... mouse to the top left to bring up the launcher thingy and also unhide the workspace switcher (for want of a better name), then drag the slightly zoomed out window to the desired workspace. Crazy.

I'm getting on quite nicely with XFCE and it's good to be back on Debian testing again - it's been far too long.

Grant.