[LUG] Altered desktop and windows tools

hi all,

I have a problem with my geoubunto install. On a acer one netbook. This problem
occured once before but all i did was reinstall... It consist of removal of windows
display settings (minimise/maximise), along with inabiltiy to use drop down lists,
use backup tools, add new disktops, do apt or use some hot keys or short cuts.

Has anyone seen this or can help trouble shoot? I m a low/intermediate level user.

Does this sound like a hack?

Cheers
Simon