Re: [LUG] Looking for a new printer

On 12/12/11 18:37, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
> On Sat 10 Dec 2011 17:59:39 GMT, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> When I started this thread what I hoped for was something like 'I have
>>> used printer xyz for a while now, it is great (or possibly, don't go
>>> near it)'.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> I have used an HP Colour Laserjet (4600C) for 8 years now, it's
>> great, but expensive to run.
>>
>> Wifey has an HP PhotoSmart 2570 - which has seen use for the past 3
>> (maybe more) years. Cheap and cheerful with lots (and lots!) of
>> features. Works a treat under Linux (after the initial battles with
>> Gnome & CUPS) Even sane can see it over Ethernet for scanning.
>>
>> They're basically at opposite ends of the scale though, and neither
>> is currently being made (that I'm aware of).
>>
>> Gordon
>>

> HP or Brother, most work good under linux and have drivers and with HP
> additional software. Otherwise yer gets what yer pays for. My HP
> photosmart 8450 has always been great and mother's Brother MFC-255CW
> printer/scanner also works well, though the drivers need to be
> installed (*.rpm and *.deb are available). Both over network, not
> plugged into the PC's.
>
> ÐÐÐ

I tried to use software center in ubuntu to install drivers for a
mfc-j615w and it really does not like the .deb file provided by brother.

Hopefully the package people will add more printers to the proper
packages in the repositories.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Join the revolution, switch to Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com