Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

thanks, I could not find this anywhere (it is not on my PC). But is no
good even now as there is no fedora 16 version yet. Simon

Hm, I'm not sure quite what, but you're doing something wrong. Although
some distros roll their own modified version of the VBox guest additions
via their repos/ports/etc (gentoo, freebsd, arch, etc) the standard
guest additions ISO is the basic collection of tools that *should*
install on all systems. On my Fedora 16 VM:

[mat@enervator ~]$ lsb_release -rc
Release:    16
Codename:    Verne

[mat@enervator ~]$ sudo systemctl status vboxadd.service
vboxadd.service - LSB: VirtualBox Linux Additions kernel modules
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/vboxadd)
    Active: active (exited) since Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:11:51 +0000; 18min ago
    Process: 798 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/vboxadd start (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
    CGroup: name=systemd:/system/vboxadd.service

[mat@enervator ~]$ lsmod | grep -i vbox
vboxvideo               1235  1
drm                   157196  2 vboxvideo
vboxsf                 30779  0
vboxguest             161497  6 vboxsf

Long story short: the standard VirtualBox guest additions ISO definitely
*does* work and install on Fedora 16 (it is broken on Fedora 17
'rawhide', but then everything is always broken on rawhide so that's not
a surprise). Did you:

Install the correct kernel-headers? (sudo yum install
kernel-headers-`uname -r` -y)
Install the development tools? (sudo yum group install "Development
Tools" -y)

Regards,

Mat