Re: [LUG] ammyy scam

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Chris Tipney wrote:
> Just had a fun 15 minutes listening to a 'tech' support guy who insisted I
> connect to his tech support network to free up my computer from 'all those
> errors that Microsoft programs create very day'
>
> The website he sent me to was www.ammyy.com - at  this point I told him he
> was running  scam from abroad and I wasn't going to click on anything on his
> website.
>
> Not long after the call ended - anyone else had this particular scam ? - it
> wasn't even very convincing perhaps the next one will do better :-)

I've had several of such calls, the most recent one two weeks ago.
These guys used their own website which, thanks to a helpful provider,
I managed to take down. The registrar was less willing as I just
noticed the site is up again. :(

This won't work with ammyy.com or at least it shouldn't work as that
is a legitimate program providing remote access. There are many ways
in which this program can be useful.

I've been talking to some people about what can be done against these
kind of scams. Catching the people behind it is tricky, partly because
they tend to be based in India, but mostly because there are so many
of them. It's not like with 'regular' cybercrime (people running
botnets and stuff) where there are a few guys making millions where
arresting them will make a big difference.

I suppose it'd help if we got more information about these kind of
scams: what tricks do they use to convince victims, what websites do
they use, what do they do once they get access etcetera. Most of what
is 'known' is based on a few cases here and there.

And I guess some user education won't hurt either.

Martijn.