[LUG] Spanish characters

Hi there to anyone who's interested,

!¡ ?¿ ñÑ áéíóú

It is easier than in Windows but it took some figuring out! There must be easier ways to find out how things work.

Switch keyboard to Spanish in Settings. Reverse exclamation mark is "equals-plus". Reverse ¿ is shift "equals-plus".  Tilde ñÑ is "semicolon-colon" .  áéíóú are press "apostrophe" ' nothing happens but then press required vowel and áéíóú results!  These work in Firefox/Yahoo Mail and also in Libre Office

With Windows the vowels are easy but the others are Graphic Alt plus three numbers.
Spell checker works fine.

My next problem is, what happens when you minimise a window?  In my case it disappears!  How do I get it back? I am using Ubunto 11.10.

Help would be appreciated.
Alan