Re: [LUG] VirtualBox version

bad apple wrote:
*>>>>

I use VirtualBox very, very heavily all day, every day - it's a really
great tool. Good news - it's about the only thing that Oracle haven't
completely screwed up since taking over the late lamented Sun
Microsystems (see: Solaris, Java, etc).

I definitely recommend the 4.* series over the OSE edition. Unless you
are a true free software Stallman-devotee just install the Oracle
version (PUEL license vs GPL) and grab the extension pack to enable
PXE boot, USB, etc. You're apparently on something Debian-based so
make sure you use the proper apt repo from
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads rather than relying on
your distribution to roll in the latest and greatest version.

Definitely remove the previous version first. Your VMs will be intact
and can be imported to the non-OSE version after install. Current
version to get is:

[mat@nihilist SRC]$ rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox
VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.6_74727_rhel6-1.x86_64

Cheers,

Mat

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using Mint 10 KDE, sorry I forgot to mention that.

VBox is in the list of packages, (I use synaptic), and the version is shown as 4.1.6-74713-ubuntu-maverick. This is not much different from the one you quote above.

Would it really be better to download a deb file and install that instead of using synaptic, for such a small difference in version number?

Thanks for your help

Neil