Re: [LUG] OT: Internet going down in evenings

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011, Martijn Grooten wrote:

Something that has been bothering me for a long time so that I have
almost learned to live with it, but shouldn't have really.

We've got home ADSL broadband from Demon. Almost every evening, the
Internet has regular outages of about 45 seconds each. Long enough for
them to be annoying and to get in the way of comfortably using the
Internet.

It barely ever happens during the day - not more than any Internet
connection occasionaly suffers from downtime. It tends to start
between 5pm and 6pm and the number of times the connection dies varies
greatly. Most interestingly, the problems have started an hour earlier
a few weeks ago, when we returned to GMT. This sounds like it should
point to the root cause of the problem, yet I have not been able to
find it.

I have done the usual stuff: change router, plug cable into the test
socket etc. All to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like electrical interference from something on a timer.... or

Street lights?
your own house lights going on?
Central Heating?
Cleaners in a nearby office?
Local radio station "pumping up the volume"?

(Get an AM radio and de-tune it and see if you "hear" anything different
when you get an outage)

Although there's not a lot you can realistically do with interference on
the wires...

Gordon