Re: [LUG] WiFi Repeater

On 10/11/11 12:15, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I'm on Virginmedia and recently my modem went belly-up. They've replaced
it, but sadly with one of their 'Super Hubs', which frankly is anything
but Super. Anyway, I kept my old WiFi router - an Edimax BR-6574N and
thought I'd use it as a WiFi Repeater. Simply put, I live in a dormer
bungalow and the main PC and router are in my bedroom on the ground
floor, front right corner. Not great for range. I configured the Edimax
for repeater mode as per the manual and got a friend to put it in one of
the upstairs back bedrooms (I'm in a wheelchair hence the downstairs
bedroom). The point of the exercise is to extend the range in the back
garden which is about 60' (I'm rubbish at distance estimates :)).

Now I've bored you with geography, my question is this. The Edimax has
the VM Super Hub as a Wifi client. I've disabled dual channel on the VM
as it was confusing the issue, both now use channel 1. However my main
question is, should I be using the same ESSID for both devices? My gut
instinct was yes, so I am, but I just wanted to clarify. The reason for
asking is the poor performance of the repeater, only a ten feet or so
further than I was getting already.

Kind regards,

Julian

Having done something similar myself, yes as far as I've found putting the same SSID will work, but I'd recommend putting them on different channels if you can (although this might not be so simple if you have lots of wireless networks which are overlapping in the same area).

If the Edimax router was working fine before (I presume it's a cable router with a WAN ethernet port and LAN ethernet ports and wireless?) then one option would be to configure the Super Hub to just use modem mode (basically IIRC you plug your router's WAN port into the Super Hub port 1) and it works as a dumb cable modem leaving the routing to your wireless router.

Or another option would be to disable the wireless on the Super Hub completely, plug one of the Edimax router LAN ports into the Super Hub and disable DHCP on either the Edimax router or the Super Hub (and make sure both devices don't have the same IP address).

You're right on the Super Hub though, it's not a great router. The only thing I do like about them is the Gigabit ports (saved me buying a gigabit switch), if it wasn't for that I'd still be using my old Virgin supplied Netgear router with the Super Hub in modem mode.

Rob