Re: [LUG] Penzance School spends Â300,000 on an iPad for every pupil

On 05/11/11 01:04, Julian Hall wrote:

> If I understand you right, you're basically talking about a Wikipedia
> for teachers?  A shared resource where, for example, all GCSE History
> teachers can come together and say 'OK week one we will teach X, and Y
> is how we will do it'.  The only problem with that approach I can see -
> and in theory it's an excellent idea - is that pretty much every teacher
> has a different style of teaching, and you could get into a vicious
> circle of some changing bits that don't suit their style, others
> changing different bits, yet more changing others, then the original
> author putting it back as it was, and so it goes on.

I think that Moodle (and presumably other similar systems) approach this
by just letting you share the "module" and then you customize it. So yes
forking, but you would fork only when the base module changed, which is
presumably when teachers have to revamp their lesson plans anyway (i.e.
curriculum changes).

Although Moodle bill their approach to customising it as simple it
looked a little involved. But then it might be less involved to learn it
than to create your own learning modules in another system.

The thing I didn't immediately find was the shared resource for UK
National Curriculum related modules. I presume there are more modules
around for when you get into using Moodle but it could do with some more
obvious structuring. No doubt the commercial vendors of same provide
some of that.

 Simon