Re: [LUG] Penzance School spends £300,000 on an iPad for every pupil

On 04/11/11 09:19, Gordon Henderson wrote:
What I do know is that it's impossible to use a modern Android phone (e.g. my HTC Desire Z) fully without a Google account - and worse, not only a google account, but a gmail account. Delete your gmail account and your device, while still workable as a phone, whinges so bitterly about not being able to contact the Google mothership, it's getting in the way.
I agree Android could be better in being truly open but I have a Samsung Galaxy S (work phone) and the only thing I have ever had to have a Google account for is the App Market, which kind of makes sense especially if you purchase apps, which I don't. Unless its secretly using the account I used for the Market!

In regards to the iPad for schools? What a *massive* waste of money. It was hard having normal computers as educational tools when I was at school. We didn't have Facebook back then so we just played games (like Trials), messed things up and wasted our time on other websites - or maybe that was just me but I doubt it.

Gibbs