Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 11.10... ?

That is all very helpful.
What I don't seem to do in L Office that I was able to do in MsWord was to edit copied and pasted text that is in short lines so as to reformat it in continuous lines. To do this I could use 'find and replace' but although you can put into find any letter or word and then replace it with something even a space or another word and it also had some extra non printing or hidden things like paragraph spaces and whatever the thing is that ends the line in an e-mail or webpage. In L Office it has find and replace under edit and then it gives you a window and you fill in 'Search for' and then fill in 'Replace with' and then go to 'replace' or 'replace all'. However you cannot or I don't know how to put in a paragraph break or what ever that line break is called in e-mail etc. Thus if you wish to turn some text in an e-mail or copied and pasted from a webpage into a normal document then one has to painstakingly go line by line deleting the end of the line and pressing the space bar open a long document this is very difficult

As for my printing problem I have tried asking in Launchpad but not yet got an understandably reply. I have found that if I go when a page is booted up in L O and go to file menu then 'print settings' then find the printer and go to 'properties' and then to 'device' towards the bottom is printer language and this show PDF but if I change it to Post Script then the page having gone back to it prints perfectly. BUT it needs doing every separate document and will not stay set or as default!! I have tried going to print settings under system settings but one can't get to this property there! Any suggestions as it is a pain to do it every time I even type a new document. My printer is HP Laser Jet 1018 but I have no idea why my recently gifted Epson Photo R330 just will not print any longer: it just stays as 'processing'. when this happened previously with the HP I had to switch it off and switch it on again but it doesn't work on the epson.

Not that I should mention that I never got my Brother multi task printer to work for years - since getting
Ubunto Linux!!

I wlll now go to see if your advice about the password works. I don't have an actual screen saver it merely goes to sleep after an interval of no use and i merely press a key or move the mouse and it wakes up.
Life, love, peace and freedom

Pete (Le M)