Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

Just realised - you wouldn't be able to co-locate a DreamPlug/ShivaPlug etc. that was an alternative option if you wanted to host from home... :)

Kind regards,

Matt

Quoting Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Quoting Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx>:
I will want to use the computer as a web server. I won't want keyboard mouse
or monitor and I would like it to be as cheep as possible. I will want to
run multiple websites eventually.
I have a brand new 500W PSU that i can use (Coolermaster) but everything
else will need to be bought.
The websites will all be Drupal 6, so i can only assume that plenty of CPU
and RAM will be required.

Hi,

Is there any particular reason why you want to build your own server?

The only reason I ask is because these days you can get Virtual Private Servers for less than £5 a month.

Having hosted many sites from home broadband connections in the past (and had major issues on occasions doing so!), I'd strongly advise that if you are going to "build your own" then you go down the route of co-location for the server (which will cost at least £49pcm + VAT) so it is in a dedicated datacentre with reliable transit links etc.

If all you want is a cheap, small server then it might be worth
checking out the ShivaPlug and GuruPlug from http://www.newit.co.uk/ -
they fit into a plug socket and come pre-installed with Debian.  I've
got no experience of them myself but from reading around they seem to
work quite well.

The latest version (The "DreamPlug") has WiFi and Bluetooth built in so
it could give you even more fun!

Kind regards,

Matt
--