Re: [LUG] Barcode scanners

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011, zleap@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

you could set up a ql bar code ( i think they are called ql codes) then
direct that to information on a local website or something or as they can
store plain text (not sure how much) perhaps do it that way,

You probably mean QR codes. They look like this:

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/qr-table.jpg

(poster in some railway stations)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code

Most "smartphones" can now read them. I've had a QR code on the back of my
business card for some years now. They've been popular in Japan, etc. for
some time too - mostly on things like movie and theater posters, etc. to
get more details and also (oddly enough!) on gravstones....

I think Neil's after some hardware to scan existing bar codes on his CD collection, and software to help him create a database, or maybe lookup the barcode to get the CD's title, tracks, etc. (I guess).

Have to say, I'd probably go down the rip & store route with the ripper software automatically fetching the titles, etc. from various online databases (e.g. http://www.freedb.org/ and so on) They do this based on the signature ID of the table of contents on the CD itself. They're very good.

To do it manually needs a physical filing system to enable you to fetch a CD from location X in box Y on shelf Z after you've used the online database to work out which CD has the track you want to play...

However if you already have 1000 CD's then ripping & storing might take some time, but the alternative is hand-scanning the labels and entering the data into your own database...

Gordon