Re: [LUG] Barcode scanners

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:37:40 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> On 31/07/11 09:03, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Simon Waters wrote:

> >>,
> >> Depends on the goal of the database is, if you just want a quick
> >> way to access the details I'd go with ripping the CDs into a good
> >> music player. Sound Juicer will look the data up on each track
> >> from MusicBrainz, so very little to do but put a CD in the drive
> >> and click each time.
> >>
> >> If you need it to keep track of who you've lent them to, or some
> >> other esoteric need, speak up.
> >>
> > No I don't lend them out. And I don't want to download them to the
> > computer. I am looking for a database to store the details of the
> > contents of each CD so that I can easily find, for example, which
> > particular CD has track XYZ on it. Then I can quickly go to the
> > cabinet holding the CD's and find the one I want quickly.
> >
> > The idea of the bar code reader was to save a lot of typing!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Neil
> >

> You'll probably find the barcode just contains a couple of numbers,
> chances are you'll need to populate the database with some
> information, either from an online CD database (as Simon mentioned)
> or entering the information manually.
>
> You could create a database and use the barcode as a reference, then
> scan the barcode for the information but I guess this isn't what you
> want?
>
> Rob

I wonder if you could tie a few tools together.

Read barcode data (which is normally an EAN-13 code - just a bunch of
numbers), discover what CD this corresponds to, pump this into some form
of CDDB/FreeDB query and store the returned track data into a database.

There is a website that seems to allow you to lookup EAN codes - and
helpfully, it would seem that all they do is plonk the EAN into the
URL, such as:
  http://www.upcdatabase.com/item/7321902174921

There may be some tools that can utilise this website, or if not a
little bit of HTML parsing should be able to pull out the returned info.

Grant.