Re: [LUG] Install II

On 21/07/11 14:53, Martin Gautier wrote:

> On 21/07/11 13:38, Jack Oley wrote:
>>
>> Martijn,
>>   I put that read statement at the end of the *eldy.sh *script; no
>> joy.  Ran as Application in Terminal, but still just the flash and
>> then nothing.  Surely (!) there must be an easier way of getting a
>> shortcut to a programme on a desktop..?   I'm beginning to pine for
>> the pristine beauty of superhappyuserfriendly Windows!  {:-(

>> Jack
>>
>> Edit the script and put a "read" statement at the end. This will pause
>> the script so hopefully will let you see what's happening before the
>> script closes the terminal windows.
>>
>> eg:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> # init
>> function pause(){
>>    read -p "$*"
>> }
>>
>> # ...
>> # call it
>> pause 'Press any key to continue....'
>> # rest of the script
>> # ...
> Jack
>
> Assuming the read statement in your script is syntactically correct,
> then it would seem that it isn't getting run. It would explain why the
> terminal windows flashes so quickly - it's displaying an error, then
> disappearing again.
>
> Send me your launcher file and the script off-list and I'll have a look
> for you...
>
> Martin

What about putting a symbolic link in /username/desktop that points to
wherever the actual application is ?

I think the issue here could be that there are several window managers /
desktop environments, most i guess put programs on the menus not on the
desktop (this is or seems to be a windows thing)

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day