Re: [LUG] File storage and backup

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 11:52 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> There are several file storage systems out there, to keep your
> important files safe and as backup. Some of them have some free space
> to start you off and then charge, others charge from the start.
> Examples are dropbox, spideroak, box.net, mozy and adrive. There are
> lots of others.
>
> Now I don't have that many files that I care about so what I do is
> copy those to my website to a folder set up for the purpose. This is
> for files other than photos. As the latter can be quite large I use
> k3b to store my photos on to a DVD.
>
> So my question is, am I missing something here? Do I really need to
> use one of these special programs? (OK. That's two questions.)
>
> Anyone?
>
> Neil

The online storage sites are great if you want to back up and
synchronise between devices, or sync some folders between more than one
user. A lot of them also keep revision history, so you can revert to a
previous version.

If you don't need any of that then backup to a website should be fine.

Only problem with media files backed up to DVD is that it is more
difficult to arrange off-site storage, but online sites will charge once
you go over about 2Gb so there would be a cost there too.

Phil

Phil