Re: [LUG] Viglen woes and Holsworthy Meeting

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:19:25 +0100
Arley Bushill wrote:

> Hi All

<snipped all the extra whitespace>

>    I have a Viglen mini computer (Geode, 80GB, 512MB RAM, 6xUSB,
> Ethernet preloaded Xubuntu 8.04)
>
>    1. As I wish to use this in a remote location I have been
> attempting to set up remote desktop with a laptop (Ubuntu).  I can
> get the Laptop desktop to show on the Viglen but not the other way
> round. When I click âConnectâ on the laptop I get a flash of black
> screen and then âcommunication is closedâ.  I guess this is possibly
> due to snailâs pace of the Viglen. I further guess that my only
> resort is to remote terminal ??

No, not at all.  This is Linux... there's 100 or more ways to skin that
particular cat.  I would say, however, that if this is a remote machine
and it isn't going to be used interactively "on site" (it wherever the
machine is physically located), then do you necessarily *need* to have
a 'desktop' session at all?

What is it that you are trying to achieve?  You, sitting at your laptop
being able to connect via VNC to the Viglen box over your Internet
connection?

>    2.Whilst setting up the remote desktop on the Viglen I used
> terminal command line to load and run  vino (remote desktop
> application).  At some stage I must have done something daft that
> made the desktop disappear and I cannot find a way of reinstating.
> All I have now is a blank blue desktop with a functional Firefox in
> its own resizeable window (which I have not stopped).  However I can
> start terminal and shutdown computer by using Alt + F Keys.  The
> Desktop environment is XFCE (I think issue 4).

One command you should definitely learn: history
It'll show you the previous commands entered into that terminal.  It's
sometimes a bit of a pain with X terminals.

>    As you can no doubt guess I am a complete noob as far as Linux is
> concerned and get the impression through reading various forums that
> once a problem is encountered it is usually necessary to resort to
> the command line which implies some prior knowledge.

Everyone starts somewhere - we were all noobs once.  Not everything
needs to be done "from the command line", but it is a very useful skill
to have under your belt and it needn't be "scary".

Grant.