[LUG] /usr/ directories deleted!?

Turned off the work computer on Thursday, booted it up today to find that graphics driver failed. Apt wasn't working and was complaining about sbin so I fired up the Ubuntu Live CD to find that /usr/sbin, /usr/local and /usr/share had vanished. I've copied them over from the Live CD and it seems to work but what the hell? AFAIK I was doing online stuff on Thursday and didn't even use the terminal. I'm pretty sure I would remember removing /usr/sbin for a start!

Any ideas how this could happen?

Cheers,