Re: [LUG] Hello.

Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 11:19:09 +0100
From: vivi.griffin@xxxxxxxxx
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Hello.

Do you use Linux at work or just at home?

Hi Viv - unfortunately, it looks like the NHS is a long way from open source anything.  They wouldn't even give me study leave for this course (worth a try, though!).  But I think, and hope, that the economic benefits will eventually stimulate some migration; however, it is a massive logistical operation that would have to be phased in over years and the staff costs for any training and management would be considerable and perhaps prohibitive in the short term.  But you never know ...

I have found that Spotify just installs under Wine as Windows - no tinkering needed. I have used on Ubuntu and a friend of mine on Suse - no issues. Spotify provide specific instructions on their site but, not really needed.

Thanks for the advice.  The more I can use Linux instead of Windows, the better.  Windows is great, but it does seem bloated and, of course, it costs.  I'm using Narwhal, and  look forward to experimenting with WINE.

Welcome to the group.

Cheers.

Viv (Moretonhampstead)