Re: [LUG] OSS DTP ... (ie. Publisher looka-a-likes)

On 30/04/11 10:15, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> It's not that Scribus (probably) can't do what she wants it to do, is
> more that what she wants isn't a full-blown DTP, it's just something to
> produce a page or 2 of mixed text and graphics

OpenOffice is a lot better at that sort of thing than Microsoft Office,
might be a better bet.

> - e.g. one thing she
> wanted to do recently was to make an image transparent to place on top
> of some text - she spent an hour trying to work out how to do this, and
> failled. If the solution is to export it into GIMP, then use some voodoo
> to make it transparent, then re-import it into Scribus, then it's a fail
> for her, as it's a simple couple of clicks in Publisher.

Depends what you mean by "transparent" if she just means change the
opacity it is the same dialogue she failed to find last time.

Right click on Image frame > Properties > Colours and change the opacity
down from 100%.

If she means make part of an image transparent (say replacing one of the
background colours with transparent) then as far as I know you have to
use GIMP, but I did it the other day for a joke image and it was easy
enough although GIMPs interface makes me feel queasy. Presumably Scribus
can use any image manipulation software and just defaults to the GIMP.