Re: [LUG] Slow Ubuntu

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

Hi

I "think" firefox" is the culprit.  (When the disk usage light comes on (and
stays on), Firefox is 90% odd on the iotop  I may add it is not hitting the
Internet).  I have loaded opera to see what that is like.

I will keep top'ing and iotop'ing

I think firefox does lots of fflush/fsync operations every time it writes the tiniest bit of data to a file - so that when it crashes it has lots of state to recover from (Well, this is embarassing, etc.)

I notice this more on mt AAO with it really slow to write SSD device.

Currently using firefox 4.0.1 under Debian Lenny - Seems fine so-far (1.6GHz, 2 core system)

Gordon