Re: [LUG] Storing photos

On 18 April 2011 19:06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I upload photos and movies to Flickr immediately after syncing them off
> the camera (it is a bit slow at uploading but not a problem for me).

+1 with Flickr, though backing up Flickr is a PITA. The best tool for
backing up Flickr uploads is http://hsivonen.iki.fi/photobackup/ and I
refuse to have anything to do with Java.

So my strategy atm is to upload to one of my servers
http://static.natalian.org/ and then upload to Flickr from there using
a Python script.

One day I hope to setup a git clone URL for anyone to grab my photos.
http://git-annex.branchable.com/ That way when I'm dead and gone,
hopefully my legacy will live on. :-)

For those thinking they might be safe-ish with their images as slides
or negatives or what not. I would argue it's a better idea to start
digitizing ASAP. My family's old negatives were shockingly unusable.
http://natalian.org/archives/2011/03/30/Scanning_family_photographs/
Fairly well stored slides were very fragile and these 30 year old
slides were professionally scanned by http://www.click2scan.co.uk/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hendry/sets/72157626481260496/ with dust
removal options. If you looks closely there are lots of issues.

So get busy archiving!