Re: [LUG] Storing photos

On 18/04/11 21:17, Roland Tarver wrote:

> Also, I have no idea who pays for the lug site hosting or how it is
> arranged?

Mostly Neil W pays for it, and kicks me for a contribution, but the
server does "other stuff" for both Neil and myself so it is not a big
issue. It is not the busiest website in the world, indeed last time I
looked it wasn't even in the top 3 on the server it is on lagging behind
such esteemed sites as Exeter Chess Club.

> But if the most expensive part of hosting a web site is
> getting a server on the net (rather than server disk space?) then
> perhaps an online storage area could be a benefit of being a lug
> member???? free? paid for? funds helping some how?

Web server disk space in virtual servers is generally in high
availability storage systems. It is probably more expensive than is
needed for photo storage, tends to be from a number of smaller vendors
without the advantages of scale of a Google, a Flickr. I don't know how
AWS disk space compares. But the support options and such are much
harder for this kind of service than simple backup services.

Certainly my Flickr subscription for a year stores much more than the
storage we get with the web server and the cost is less than one tenth
the amount. Google storage is priced in a similarly relatively cheap
fashion.

And yes paying for it is generally needed. Disks unlike software can't
be replicated at almost no cost, and for a back-up you want it on all
the time (for restore), so some electricity, bandwidth and other costs
creep in. Of course these days the disks themselves are cheap so expect
prices to drop per GB, but it wouldn't surprise me if the basic entry
price stays fairly similar or rose, one will simply get more disk space
once one has paid to play.

So I think the GLUG will leave it for other members to step in and set
up their online back-up businesses.