Re: [LUG] Storing photos

On 18/04/11 18:54, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Had some grief from my daughter today. I have a new computer and I
transferred things like her bookmarks from the old one. But what about
all her photos I was asked.

I have copied her photos from backup storage on a DVD so that is OK. But
it started me thinking. Would it be a good idea to suggest that she
store her photos on line somewhere? This already happens with her emails
since I use an IMAP system.

Would that be a good idea? And if so, where would be a good place. This
is purely for storage, she is not into photo sharing on line. It is just
a way of making sure that if anything happens to this computer her
photos are safe.

Yes, I know that I backup onto a DVD for her, but with on line storage
she could look after all that herself.

Comments anyone?

Neil

Well the obvious ones I could think of off the top of my head is, Ubuntu One if you're running Ubuntu (I believe it's also available for Mint and other distros) which would give 2GB storage. Other than that some ISPs might give you some online storage (Virgin do I believe, I mean a file storage area rather than traditional FTP storage).

Not tried it too but Microsoft have their Sky Drive thing. Not sure if it's compatible with Linux (I've only seen mentions of it relating to Windows and Windows Phone 7) but I gather you get a couple of gig too.

Suppose it really depends how much storage you're looking at.

There is also the job of uploading it all, although you may find that you can find something that has a client that can you can set it uploading in the background (or maybe allow upload via SFTP or something).

Rob