Re: [LUG] Broadband & phone

On 9 April 2011 22:13, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> those sort of contracts not enforceable anymore. (mostly - and ofcom is
> really cracking down on them)

Wow, OFCOM do stuff? :)

> So the St. Tudy exchange - Market 1 (no LLU) and no FTTC either. So speeds
> up to 8Mb in and up to 823Kb out, depending on line distance.

It's a stone throw away, so it should be really good compared to me at
http://prazefarm.co.uk/

> That basic AAISP package has a very limited peak-time capacity - just 1GB
> per month from 9am to 6pm, so don't try to have lunchtime punters using it,
> nor the landlord using it to place orders, etc...

Yes that's the big trouble with AAISP. The peak costs are harsh,
almost unworkable on the basic package.

ZyXEL comes free http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-freerouter.html

> For VoIP hardware, I'd not use the Gigaset 580IP's - they're OK, but small
> monochrome screens. I much prefer the C475IP's instead. I've installed quite
> a few so-far.

Interesting, thanks for that.

> And do think about the VoIP package - you might want a desk phone as well as
> DECT, so you might then need a slightly more flexible package from the VoIP
> provider - e.g. hosted PBX type services. These cost from nothing to 1000's
> depending on the features and who rips you off the most.

PBX type services from what I gathered from good VOIP providers seems
to be thrown in. Nonetheless my parents friends are techno-phobes, so
I guess they won't touch these features. Also there is absolutely no
mobile coverage in St. Tudy, so the case of "ringing a mobile once the
main line fails to pick up" is probably never going to work. Rule out
the 3G dongle back up too.

> You'll never have a good VoIP experience with teenagers, etc. doing gaming
> or p2p file sharing, etc. though. No amount of clever routers can really
> thwart the determined file ripper.

If I was going down the AAISP route for this pub, I would have to make
absolutely sure the public wifi wasn't enabled during peak times,
that's for sure. And then I would have to work out some QoS, though
good wifi routers running DD-WRT have this feature and it surprisingly
works.

Many thanks,

p.s. I've updated
http://natalian.org/archives/2011/04/09/Broadband_and_phone/ quite a
bit and next I want to ask you all about your experience with POS and
CC software... oh gosh